Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Liar Liar

One of my former coworkers mentioned a TV show that she liked and said was very interesting. It's in it's 2nd season now (I think), so you may have already heard of it. It's called Lie to Me.

It's about an agency of people, run by psychologist Dr. Lightman, and they are able to read the microexpressions that tell when people are lying. Essentially, they are human lie detectors.

I found this concept amazing and I love to check out new things so I googled the term microexpressions. Microexpressions are involuntary flashes of emotion that portray our true feelings, even if we try to convey a different emotion.

According to one website I found, this skill, reading microexpressions is not common. This person gave a link to a short test and I took it. Microexpression Test

I got 10 out of 10 right. Granted, I had to play a couple of them several times but still, I think it merits some further study. So, I'm going to look into some books and do more research. I would love to be able to read people as effectively as they do on the show, though I'm not sure that's possible since it is TV. I'm also hoping I don't have to stare at people the way they do. Rather disconcerting.

What about you? Watch the show? Heard of microexpressions? Can you tell how people really feel regardless of what they say? Did you take the test? I'd love to hear your score.

10 comments:

Gale Stanley said...

I've seen something like this on another show. It might have been Law & Order. The detective was using it to see if the suspect was lying. Except he called it something else. I think it was the "tell." Fascinating stuff.

Rachel Lynne said...

Hey Riley! I took the test and got 10 out of 10 too! I have to say I had to use the hold expression button on some of them, it flashed too quickly but several were easily read.
I've never watched the show but it sounds good, I'll have to check it out.
I'm not good at reading people usually but my husband is very good at it and 14 years with him has taught me a little. Body language says more about what a person is thinking to me. Crossed arms, leaning away from the speaker, not holding eye contact, that sort of thing. Gale is right, the "tell" is always there we just have to look for it!
Great post:)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I stink! But it was fun! lol

Carly Carson said...

I got 2 wrong. I didn't figure out at all how to hold the expression but that's okay because the idea was can you tell from fleeting clues. I'm actually surprised I got any right. Good stuff. I'm keen on pop psychology.

Gosfam said...

I got 2 wrong, but my 2nd guess for them was right. That was FUN!! We do watch Lie To Me, and it is very interesting. Never heard of Microexpression outside of the show though.

Maeve Greyson said...

Neat! Even though the little devils flashed pretty fast, I managed to score a perfect 10.

Anonymous said...

I've watched the show since it premiered last year and LOVE it!

Stephanie St.Clair

Penny Rader said...

I failed that test. Got maybe half. Most of the expressions moved too quickly for me & I couldn't get them to pause. I love the show, Lie to Me. Find it quite fascinating.

Face Reading said...

My first ever attempt my results were rubbish. I now hold certifications in Micro and Subtle Expression as well as Dangerous Demeanour Detection which I use in my business. It is only practice and anyone can become good at it. If I can be of any help please ask. I’m yet to put a blog together but I’ll get there as I love sharing.
If anyone would like to connect with me my twitter is Face_Reader and my facebook is Alan Stevens and I’m here in Newcastle, Australia. By the way Riley I found your blog through Google Alerts. I’m starting to get the hang of this social media stuff.
Cheers

Face Reading said...

Sorry, correction to previous post, my twitter is Face_Profiler. Cheers

Post a Comment