Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First Step


We all the beginning of a manuscript is how we get our foot in the door. Sometimes it's just the first few pages. Sometimes less than that.

Over at Savvy Authors, they are having a contest. It's called the First Step Contest. There are three parts to it. The first step is the first line. There are over a hundred entries of first lines. Voting is for members and non-members alike. It started yesterday and goes through June 7, with the winners of that round announced June 8.

The top 30 from round one will submit a 3 line blurb or pitch, no longer than 250 words. The voting for that round will go from June 15 through June 28, with the winners of that round announced June 29.

The top 5 from round two will submit a 500 word sample. The voting for that round will go from July 5 through July 18, with the winner and 2 runners up announced on July 19.

The winner will receive a paid year's tuition in Beth Daniel's First Step to Complete Novel course and the two runners up will receive a paid annual membership to SavvyAuthors.com.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I bit the bullet and entered the first line of Out of the Shadows in said contest. I encourage to click here and support everyone's effort. Names are not attached to the entries but I'm going to cheat a little.

My entry is:

#42 – Why couldn't she go to a club looking to get laid like every other woman her age?

If you like my sentence, I would love to have your vote. But if you don't vote for me, please vote for one of these great sentences. It will be fun to see the progression of the contest, don't you think?

5 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Riley,
That sounds like an interesting contest. Good luck. I like the sound of your entry I'll go check it out.

Regards

Margaret

Gale Stanley said...

I did vote for your entry. Now I want to know why, why can't she go to a club.... Which is just what a first line is supposed to do - make you want to keep reading. Good luck!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Love your first line! I want to know what comes next :-)

YzhaBella's BookShelf said...

Lol, Good One! Voted!

Riley Quinn said...

Thanks for the support!

Post a Comment