Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Invasion

Today is the beginning of the second week of invasion. By what, you ask? Kidlets.

At the craft shop where I work part time, we started a summer program for kids. Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, kids from 6-16 can come in from 1pm-3pm and pick their choice of craft to make for $5. This is going on up until August 12.

We didn't have any takers the first day, but the other two days had a nice little group. We were also encouraged to come up with our own classes for the kids.

Now, I don't have kids, so I've never really done a lot of kids' crafts. But then I remembered that my grandma taught me to crochet when I was pretty young. Around 8. So that's my offering. I've got three kids' crochet classes scheduled for this summer. It probably would have been more, but I'm going to be in the States for 3 weeks.

I like to complete a project in my class so that people can take something away with them. In my adult crochet classes, that something is a dishcloth. But kids aren't interested in that kind of stuff, right? Luckily for me, one of my co-workers came up with a great project for the kids to make in class. It also tied in with what I had planned to teach them.

Normally, I teach the adults all the basic stitches, but kids don't usually have that attention span so I had only planned to teach them the chain stitch and the single crochet. This project is perfect. And cute. And fun. What is it, you ask? It's a butterfly magnet.


Cute, right? For those of you kids (or grandkids), what do you plan do with them this summer to keep them occupied? What did you do as kid?

4 comments:

Denise Golinowski said...

That's a super project for kids! And the parents/grandparents are gonna love 'em, too. I remember a couple of summers in elementary school where we had summer arts and crafts. I loved the "copper rubbings" where you picked an etched template and then pressed your copper sheet into it with a wooden round pointed dowel to create a copper relief of the picture. They were the coolest things I've ever seen, then or now. Well, your butterfly magnet might be a very close second. ;-)

Jill James said...

I want to make one of those and I'm not even a kid!!!!

Gale Stanley said...

That's a wonderful project! My mother loved to knit and crochet and she taught me as well. The kids will love it.

Maeve Greyson said...

How neat! My grandmother tried to teach me to crochet. She shook her head, patted my hands and finally told me to stick to painting and drawing. I never could get the hang of it. I'm sure the kids will love your class. :)

Post a Comment