Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fahrradrennen

As some of you know, Europeans are big on bicycling. Much more so than in the States. This fact was brought home to me again today.

I mentioned yesterday that my midterm for my Intro to World Religions class was today. When I showed up at the testing center at my appointed time, there was a snafu with the computers so I was almost an hour late taking my test. No big deal.

Afterwards, I ran over to the PX and picked up a few things, least of which was hubby's birthday present. Then on to the post office and home.

There was some construction work on the way in so I thought I'd be clever and take a different way home. This is where I ran into the bicycle race. Well, not literally, but you know what I mean.

The race (Fahrradrennen) was in full swing with the Polizei running interference in front and bringing up the rear. Once the race passed the intersection I was on, I pulled out behind them and slowly made my way home.

I was surprised by all the people that had come out along the road to watch them go by. All the little dorfs (villages) that I passed through were teeming with people. The kids twirled their noisemakers around and waved their little German flags. It was really pretty neat.

Other than big, important races, I've never seen this kind of turnout for a bicycle race. I thought it was cool and thought I'd share.

Oh yeah, and because I was at the end of the procession, I got cheered and waved at too!

4 comments:

Suzanne Johnson said...

What fun! The only thing I've seen comparable to that here are the second-line parades in New Orleans. Of course they have nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with drinking!

Rachel Lynne said...

Yeah, they were cheering your sale of Blood Diamond!
I wish America were a more friendly place to bike. Here in Savannah they have bike lanes but it is still dangerous to ride on busy streets. I guess our towns are too spread out for cycling to become practical for everyday errands and such.

Gale Stanley said...

LOL, I was going to ask if they cheered for you. Philly has a pretty big bike race every year. We almost lost it because the city is so broke but some benefactor came through and it's the weekend of June 5. The 156-mile Pro Cycle Tour loops past the Art Museum and along the Schuylkill River. It's now 25 years old.

Maeve Greyson said...

Bicycling? Wow, I'm breathless just thinking about it. :)

Post a Comment