Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day


Happy Earth Day! Today marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement so I thought I'd share a little more information about today.

In 1970 when gas was leaded, all cars were V8s, and there weren't as many environmental laws regulating industry, air pollution was a common occurrence. Gaylord Nelson, then a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, proposed the first nationwide environmental protest to force the issue onto the national agenda. So, on April 22, 1970, 20 million people came out to streets, parks and auditoriums to demonstrate. There were coast-to-coast rallies, organized protests on the campuses of thousands of colleges and universities.

Earth Day 1970 garnered support from people from all sides, regardless of political affiliation, home or job. The first Earth Day led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species acts.

Wow, it's amazing what can be accomplished when people work together for a common goal.

I try to do my part. I recycle. Actually, here in Germany, they make it very easy to recycle and those that don't are the exceptions to the rule. We have separate buckets for glass, paper, aluminum, plastic and biodegradable stuff. I try to conserve gas and use public transportation when possible. In my little town, it's very accessible for walking or bicycling so unless I'm going long distances, I don't take the car out of the garage. I'm sure there is more that I could be doing, so I'll be going here to pick 5 things that I can do to help save our environment.

What do you think? Will you also Pick 5?

4 comments:

Gale Stanley said...

We've been recycling for years, in Philly and in MD where we have rental properties. I was really disappointed when Ocean City, MD disbanded their recycling because they were losing money. It's understandable. They're a resort town and 1/2 the year there are too few people to make the pick-ups worthwhile.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Riley, nice to learn the history. I'd forgotten all that. Nice to be reminded.

Rachel Lynne said...

Nice info. I didn't know that is when Earth day started or why. I think environmentalists can take things to extremes putting animals and insects over humans like they do in California but at the same time, common sense needs to be applied. We have one planet and the things we do or don't do impact it. We all need to be conscious of our habits and how they affect the world around us.

Maeve Greyson said...

Thanks for all the background info. It just makes sense to recycle, not only for the environment but for your pocketbook too. Great post! :)

Post a Comment