We’ve talked about beta waves and alpha waves. Next on the list is theta.
These brain waves are usually associated with sleep and dreaming. Generated in the right hemisphere of the brain, they kick in when we feel emotional, relaxed, daydreamy, unfocused or asleep.
Benefits of increasing theta waves include deep levels of relaxation, advanced intuition, peak levels of creativity, advanced problem solving skills, lower anxiety and stress, the ability to learn a new language easier, boost in learning ability, stronger immune system, improved long-term memory, the ability to hyperfocus and replenishing the body and mind.
People that naturally generate high amounts of theta waves are extroverts, people who regularly meditate, children, and people with ADD or ADHD.
As with the other brain waves we’ve discussed, it is possible to generate too many. Some problems associated with this include the inability to focus, too much daydreaming, depression, sleepiness, lack of excitement, extreme impulsiveness, hyperactivity, and an overly receptive mind.
Healthy ways to increase theta brain activity includes:
1. Brain entrainment – Again, Dr. Jeffrey Thompson has the Theta Meditation System and the Theta Meditation System 2.0. I have owned and used the first for many years.
2. Listening to music – All genres of music, except classical, target the brain’s right side and increase theta levels.
3. Sufficient sleep – Getting a good night’s sleep is important for good health in many ways.
4. Meditation – Yep. This one again.
5. Hypnosis/self-hypnosis – As with alpha waves, regular hypnosis helps reduce stress by increasing theta waves.
6. Yoga – Another activity that I’ve recommended more than once.
Unhealthy ways to increase theta waves include taking valium, drinking alcohol and taking hallucinogenics.
Theta brain waves can be an intense experience. If you find yourself overemotional and depressed, increasing theta waves would not be recommended. Are you already an overemotional person? If so, you may already produce high amounts of theta activity. If you experience too many of the negative effects, perhaps speeding your brain waves to beta would be beneficial.
Do you think you have an abundance of theta brain activity? Do you think you’d like to increase it? Have you tried any the tips so far? What have you found?
16 hours ago