Friday, March 25, 2011

Gamma Waves

We’ve spent the last two weeks talking about brain waves and we’ve covered them. Except for gamma waves.


Quite honestly, this one is a new one for me. When I’d originally started looking at brain waves, this one never popped up. Recently I’d been looking at Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s CD offerings and found 2 for gammas. I was intrigued.

So I did some research and what I found prompted me to slap down the money and buy those darn CDs.

Gamma waves are considered the brain’s optimal frequency of functioning. They are associated with compassion, happiness and increased mental abilities. They’re found in every part of the brain and help to improve memory and perception.


Benefits of increased gamma brain activity include boosted memory (as stated above), processing multiple senses at once, increased compassion, high level information processing, natural antidepressant, advanced learning ability, increase in I.Q., higher energy levels and higher level of focus.

As always, too much can cause problems. Too many gamma waves can cause some anxiety. Also, some people are not prepared for the mental awakening associated with gamma waves so it’s best to start off slow.


Healthy ways to increase gamma brain waves include:

1. Brain entrainment – You knew I was going here. I recently (in the last month) purchased Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s Gamma Meditation System and Gamma Meditation System 2.0. I haven’t gotten to really use it yet, but if it’s a good as the previous CDs I’ve purchased, I’ve no doubt that it’s awesome.
2. Sleep – Gammas are present during R.E.M. sleep and sometimes associated with dreaming, along with thetas.
3. Meditation – I’ve mentioned this several times.
4. Hypnosis/self-hypnosis – The more often you participate in this, the more your gamma waves increase.
5. Yoga – Again, mentioned several times.

There are no known unhealthy ways increase gamma waves and virtually all activities that are detrimental to mental health with decrease gammas.

If you’re already a smart and compassionate person and experience many of the benefits listed above, chances are high that you naturally produce enough gamma waves.


If you’ve been keeping track, you’ll notice several of the same things increase most brain waves in a healthy manner. Getting enough sleep, a regular meditation practice and doing yoga on a regular basis. You’ll also notice that these activities keep your body healthy too.

If you want missed my posts on meditation and yoga, check them out.

I hope you’ve found this information helpful. Monday I’m going to touch on a topic that is somewhat related – subliminal messages.

Now that you’ve read about all the different brain waves, their benefits and how to increase them, what do you plan to do? Have a great weekend everyone.

3 comments:

Janice Seagraves said...

Funny, the only place I've ever hard of gamma waves was the Incredible Hulk series, movie and comic. Of course that's pure fiction.

Good luck with your research. I think you may be on to something.

Bianca Swan said...

I've enjoyed this whole series on brain waves. Clever topic. I think I need more gamma! Let us know how you enjoy those CD's.

Riley Quinn said...

LOL, Janice, you're right about the Hulk. I'd forgotten that, though I don't think they referred to brain waves.

I'm glad you enjoyed the series, Bianca. I'll definitely let you know about those CDs.

Thanks for stopping by, ladies.

Post a Comment