Monday, March 28, 2011

Subliminal Stimuli

Today I want to talk about something that is related to the brain wave series we just finished up, but is different.

Subliminal stimuli.

You’ve heard of advertising executives tout the advantage of inserting a flash photo into an advertisement to sell more products. Some people worried so much about becoming “brainwashed” that the FCC banned subliminal messages in advertisements in the 1970s.


The idea behind it is that the flash of a picture or words spoken so softly as to be heard clearly bypass the conscious mind and lodge in our subconscious. It’s similar to hypnosis in that it bypasses the conscious mind. The difference between the two is the method of delivery.

But does it actually work?


I found myself needing a bit more self-discipline to get certain things done during the day so I decided to find out.

I ordered a CD specifically for self-discipline/willpower. It recommended listening to it for 1 hour per day and once a week reading through the list of affirmations that were on it.

So I did.

I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I’ve noticed an improvement. Is it possible that it’s all in my head? Yep. But here’s the thing. Whether the affirmations playing under the music are what helped me get my butt in gear or my brain thinking they would help so they did doesn’t really matter in the long run. Not to me. What matters to me is that I had the focus to do what I needed to do.


I’ve not been this productive in quite a while. I’m running with it and not looking back.
In case you’re wondering where I ordered the CD, I ordered from Inner Talk. I did some research and chose to trust them and they’re patented technology.

What do you think about subliminal messages? Do you think it works? Have you tried it? Care to share your experiences?

4 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

This would be lost on me, I can't hear. So I guess it's down to kicking my butt in gear and plowing through revisions.

I can't say the validity of pictures works either, I've never been coerced into buying something I've seen on the television. Do I believe it's possible. I think it's a matter of how willing are you to believe. (Hugs)Indigo

Darla M Sands said...

I have to say that you have me intrigued.

Anonymous said...

que gay

Wilf said...

I thought that subliminal stimuli has been banned on televison in a lot of countries. Not legally so in the USA but the FCC frowns on it and can revoke a license if a TV station is found doing it. It is unfortunate that some do try it especially in advertizing. It is a shame that this has to happen as it can have some very positive effects when used ethically to reduce things such as stress and even to reduce dependency on substances.

Post a Comment