Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Delta Waves

We’ve covered a lot of ground – beta, alpha, and theta brain waves. Next up is delta waves.


Beta waves were fast waves. Then we slowed it down with alpha before going even slower with theta. Delta brain waves are the slowest of all. Whereas theta waves are associated with the subconscious mind, delta waves are associated with the unconscious mind and like other slower brain wave patterns, generated in the right hemisphere of the brain.

Delta brain waves have been linked to stages 3 and 4 of sleep. If you’ve ever woken up and felt irritable, confused or disoriented, you probably woke up during your delta stage of sleep.


Delta brain activity has been linked to boosted intuition and the cultivation of psychic skills in some people. Think of them as a radar system for our intuition. Delta waves allow us to be more aware of information that isn’t available to our conscious, beta brain. This is our “gut” instinct.

Healing of the mind and body have been linked to delta brain waves. Researchers have discovered that it’s possible to produce melatonin and Human Growth Hormone (HGH) within the delta range. These substances help to slow or reverse the effects of aging.


Increasing delta waves can reduce the production of cortisol. Cortisol is often produced in times of stress and increased levels can kill brain cells, as well as speed up the process of physical and mental aging.

Some problems associated with too many delta brain waves include an extremely unfocused mind, extreme sleepiness, and hyperactivity.


Healthy ways to increase delta waves are:

1. Brain wave entrainment – Yep, you guessed it. Dr. Jeffrey Thompson has this one covered too. I own the Delta Sleep System and there is also the Delta Sleep System 2.0. When I or hubby go through a bout of insomnia, I set these CDs to play through the night and they do wonders.
2. Sleep – Getting a good night’s rest is important for staying healthy and while plenty of sleep won’t increase your delta waves the next day, you’ll experience their benefit during your non-dream sleep.
3. Meditation – I just can’t say enough good stuff about this practice.
4. Hypnosis/self-hypnosis – If you practice frequent enough, you may find yourself able to tap into your delta brain wave awareness.
5. Yoga – Again, can’t say enough.


Sometimes, skipping sleep will produce delta brain waves. This falls under the unhealthy label. In addition to some delta wave increase, cortisol is also increased.

Most people don’t produce large amounts of delta waves unless they are in the deepest sleep stages. If you experience too many of the listed negative effects, you may want to consider speeding up your brain waves into the beta range.


Just one more brain wave to go. What do you think so far? Do you recognize yourself in any of the healthy or unhealthy aspects of these brain waves?

6 comments:

Gale Stanley said...

When I worked the day job, I only slept 4 hours a night max. Needless to say I was always cranky. Lately I've been reading a lot about how important it is to get enough sleep. I can attest to that. Didn't know about the reversing age stuff. Think I'll start taking naps.

Anonymous said...

I like your list to improve delta wave health.
Liz Arnold
Message to Love
http://www.lizarnoldbooks.wordpress.com

Gail said...

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this series, Riley. The information is great and I can actually see them all at work in my life. Well, except for the Beta waves. I don't do anything fast. I see myself operating mostly on the Alpha level. I'm fascinated by the Theta and Delta waves, though, and thinking writers would benefit if they could tap into these on a more conscious level. Thanks for bringing the info!
Gail

Lynn said...

Wonderful post, Riley! Thank you for putting all this information together. :) I've got some of the BrainSync (brainsync.com) brainwave programs on my MP3 player:

A delta wave program for deeper sleep (I suffer from periodic insomnia as well).

Their High Focus program when I start a writing session, and find that it reduces the amount of time it takes me to get into that zone.

One of their alpha wave meditation programs, which I'd like to make more time to experiment with this year.

And their Brain Massage program is like taking a short nap; when I'm having an exhausting day and need to perk myself back up again, I listen to the Brain Massage program and I feel ten times better.

Lynn
The Kaizen Plan: Take Control of Your Life 10 Minutes at a Time
www.smallstepstobigchange.com

Shawna Thomas said...

I love this series of blogs. Thinking I might need to get these CDs!

Thank you.

Riley Quinn said...

OMG, Gale, I can't imagine functioning on only 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm so glad you don't have to do that anymore.

Gail, you'd be surprised how often you use beta waves. Wait until Friday. I'll be discussing gamma rays, which are even faster.

Thanks for the recommendations, Lynn. I'll head over to brain sync and check it out.

I'm so glad you're all enjoying the series and finding the information helpful.

Lynne, you won't be disappointed in the CDs. The music is even nice.

Post a Comment