Friday, January 14, 2011

Fangirl Friday - Reading Recommendation

No guest today, so I’m going to take this time to tell you about a book I recently read. It’s a paranormal YA, the first in a trilogy. Or rather it started out as a trilogy, but there will be more books coming out as early as April of this year.

It’s about a 16 year old girl that realizes she can see those things that go bump in the night and those that fight them. She becomes embroiled in a race for a cup when her mother is kidnapped by the man who wants it…her father.

She falls in with the hunters, and is attracted to one in particular. I don’t want to give away any twists so I’ll leave off there.

What I will say is that I really enjoyed the book. I understand it to be the author’s debut novel, and as such, was well done. The world building was strong without big info dumps. Since our young heroine knows nothing of this world, we learn about it along with her. I thought it was a great way to introduce things in a more natural way.

The characters were well done. There was the normal teen angst amid the saving the world stuff that made them more real. There was depth to them and I connected to them fairly quickly into the story.

The stakes were high. These teenagers were trying to get a magical cup before the villain to stop the demise of their species, as well as the needless murder of countless humans. The tension rose throughout the story, but was paced well with everyday teenage concerns.

Have you guessed what book this yet? It’s City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.


I first found out about this series when I was looking for a steampunk novel to read. I found Ms. Clare’s Clockwork Angel, the first in the prequel trilogy. I read that book first and enjoying it as I did, went back for City of Bones.

Now I have the second book, City of Ashes, to read next. It showed up in the mail yesterday and I’ve already gotten a good start on it. Oh, and as a bonus, they're making this book into a movie. They've cast the actress for the heroine and working on the rest still.

Give this author a try. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you like paranormal.

Have you already read these books? What did you think? Think you’ll check them out?

4 comments:

Stephanie Bisby said...

I didn't know the books and they sound right up my street. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gale Stanley said...

I like YA fiction, read a lot by P.C. Cast. I haven't read this one but it sounds like my kind of story. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

Is this book steampunk, too?
Joy Held
Writer Wellness, A Writer's Path to Health and Creativity
Who Dares Wins Publishing

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough steampunk. Thanks for the review.
Liz Arnold
Message to Love
The Wild Rose Press

Post a Comment