Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Challenge

Today starts the weight loss challenge at the gym where I take my Sculpt & Burn class. My instructor is running it and we get weighed, measured and our BMI figured. It runs for 4 weeks.

We have the option of following Weight Watchers or doing calorie restriction. Since my program on SparkPeople follows calorie restriction, I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve been doing.

During the 4 weeks, we weigh in weekly, we turn in a food journal, and my instructor will hold meetings. She’s got some guest speakers lined up and we’ll share what’s working for us and recipes and such. At the end, we’ll get weighed, measured and our BMI done again. The person with the highest average between actual pounds dropped and change in BMI wins.

What’s the prize? Money! We all pay $25 to participate. $5 of this goes to the gym. The rest goes into the prize pot. The actual prize depends on how many participants join.

I admit that I can be a little competitive, but I think that with the amount of weight I have to lose, it would take more pounds lost than is healthy in 4 weeks for me to win. I’m doing it more for the extra motivation to keep going.

Yesterday was my personal weigh-in. I’m hanging steady at 12 pounds lost, but since it’s been 6 weeks since I started my lifestyle change, it’s an average of 2 pounds per week. Not bad.

On Sunday, I tried on a pair of jeans that is a size smaller than what I’ve been wearing. I haven’t been able to wear these pants for quite a while. Well, not only did I get into them, but they were comfortable. Snug without being too tight. That was such a good feeling.

So, that’s my update for Weightloss Wednesday. How have you been doing? Gotten any new recipes? Anyone try that shrimp taco recipe I linked to a few weeks ago? I’m telling you, those things are wicked good.

8 comments:

Gale Stanley said...

You're doing great Riley. I'm at the beach so walking every day is a real pleasure. I've been cutting calories too, but not counting. I have a pair of shorts here in a smaller size and I plan to get into them by the time I leave.

Denise Golinowski said...

Hi, Riley! I'm so excited for you. You're doing great! I've been putting every excuse in the book out there for why I haven't gotten back on the wagon and NOW IS THE TIME! Hopefully next week I will have something positive to report. We'll see and Good Luck!

Oh, and Gale! Nothing like walking the beach to tone and firm those calves.

Keep on keepin' on, ladies, and Happy Writing!

Suzanne Johnson said...

That's great! I can't seem to get motivated, except by pizza. Pizza motivates me. Does that count?

Shai Williams said...

That sounds like great motivation. I need to start walking again. We just moved into a new neighborhood where I can walk at night. Now I just need to get motivated to move.

Rachel Lynne said...

Great job, Riley! I lost 30 before conference and a few more after that but then I got lazy and had ice cream every night :( You're motivating me back onto the wagon.
Keep it up, I feel so much better since I lost the weight. My feet don't hurt any more and I have so much energy.

Herspective said...

Hello :) Diana here from the Writers Group. What a great blog... looks like you've done a really great job of developing a following. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. :)

Rena's Personal Blog said...

Interestiing thoughts

Rena's Personal Blog said...

This is a great post thannks

Post a Comment