Monday, December 6, 2010

Saturday's Disappointment

First things first, Autumn Shelley won the copy of Blood Diamond.

Second, I had wanted to post pictures of the Nuremburg Christmas market today, but that’s where my disappointment comes in.

When we go to Nuremburg, we take the train. The station in our town is only 2 blocks away and it’s an hour train ride. Same amount of time to get there as by car and the 2 of us can ride on a Day Plus pass for less than 15 euros. Totally worth it when you consider gas prices (which are higher than in the States, even for those of us on base), wear & tear on the car, parking prices, and general driving nuisances.

Anyway, hubby had to work this weekend, but he got off work around 3. We decided to go when he got in. We got up to the station, bought our ticket, no problem. We’re on the platform waiting for the train and minutes before it’s supposed to arrive, it cancels.

My German isn’t good enough yet to catch everything said, I just know that train isn’t coming. So I go up to a man about my age or so and asked if spoke English. Generally, my age and younger usually speak it pretty well. He said yes and I asked about the train. He said it wasn’t coming and we’d have to go through Bayreuth to get there.

Okay, not the best option as it doubles the ride, but do-able. So we’re on our way. When we get to Nuremburg, it’s almost 7. There is drama in the train station there. Not sure what was going on, but the polizei had the middle section of the station cordoned off, they stood there with automatic rifles and police dogs to make sure no one crossed. As the Queen of Nosy, I’m dying to know what happened, but don’t know where to look so I’ll be asking my neighbor where I can find out.

Anyway, we exit the train station the back way and head over to the Irish pub near the station where our friends, who arrived around the time we were supposed to, were waiting for us. Or so we thought. We got our wires crossed and ended up meeting at the big church in town.

We meet up with them, get some sausage sandwiches, some gluhwein for hubby, hot chocolate with amaretto for me. Pick up a few things we like to get. Walk towards one end of the market until we see it peter out and then head back toward the center.

That’s when we got our surprise. The vendors were closing. It was 8 o’clock on a Saturday night and they were closing early. It was a disappointment. We didn’t have enough time to purchase everything we wanted to and see everything.

And, lovely readers, that is why I have no photos for you today. Everything folded up before I could snap them.

How did you spend your weekend?

5 comments:

Maeve Greyson said...

Poor Riley - how disappointing. :-( But at least it sounds like you had a bit of an adventure getting there. I'm glad you made it home safe and sound!

Gale Stanley said...

I was looking forward to seeing the pictures. Now I'm curious about the polizei. Keep us updated. My weekend was quiet. Sundays we help out a sick friend and I worked on the WIP.

Anonymous said...

I got to work this weekend, but as a writing, working in a bookstore just doesn't seem like work to me! :) Sorry for your disappointment. Hope you have a great day today.

Autumn Shelley said...

Ok, I'm excited about my very own copy of BD. Any chance I can get that signed as well????
Sorry about the bummer trip to Nuremburg (although that hot chocolate w/amaretto sounds right up my alley).
I imagine that was a sight you don't see every day: polizei w/ dogs and automatic weapons. We're fortunate we don't have that here in the states (yet). We do however, have our share of nutjobs as this article proves (and no, the crazy people aren't in Waco for a change-ha!)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101206/ap_on_re_us/us_explosive_house
I would make a connection between Nuremburg rolling up it's sidewalks at 8pm and certain other small, central, backwater Tx towns but I'll refrain. I don't want to mess up the image in my mind of beautiful, progressive, cosmopolitan Europe. :)

Rachel Lynne said...

LOL @ Amber! Sorry to hear about your failed mission, Riley. I was looking forward to pics too! But, as Gale said, now I'm more interested in the police state action-snoop around, my curiosity is alight!

Post a Comment