Monday, November 22, 2010

Books, Books and More Books

I love books. It’s my one true vice. I can never leave a bookstore without something. And don’t get me started on ebooks. I’ve been buying those for about 7 years, before the Kindle and the Nook made them as popular as there are today.

Why am I bringing this up? Probably because I spent most of the day yesterday, about 6–7 hours helping hubby put together bookshelves.

When we moved to Germany, we put a lot of books into storage. If I remember correctly, I counted about 50 boxes. I brought somewhere between 10 and 15 with me. After 2 RWA conferences and just buying online and at the PX, the 2 bookshelves we brought were overflowing.

So we went to IKEA. I’m not a fan of their stuff, but hubby loves them and I can deal with their shelving units. After discussing what we wanted, we knew we’d have to come back because our little car wouldn’t hold things. We were prepared to rent a van, but then a friend offered us the use of her husband and their station wagon. Saturday, the 2 guys went to get our stuff.

I would like it better if they had had all the pieces in the warm brown that I wanted. Instead, hubby came back with that light birch stuff that I despise. It does look clean, but it also looks cold to me. The brown would have felt more welcoming to me. Oh well.

We again have a wall that is almost all bookshelves. There are a few spots for growth, but yeah, we’re pretty filled up. And I’m not even going to mention the boxes of books still under the bed in the guest room from conference this past summer. ;)

I have noticed that since I’ve started writing, I don’t read as much as I used to. I still do and I love it, but I’m finding myself reading the shorter works now. One of my goals for next year, though, will be to read at least one book for pleasure per week. Since I used to inhale them in a day, I think it’s doable.

How often do read for pleasure? How many books do you generally read a week? What’s your all-time favorite?

1 comments:

LaVerne Clark said...

Hi Riley

I LOVE books too. I love spending time in a bookstore and inhale the smell of the pages as I flip through them. I know your readers won't think that weird, I suspect I'm not the only one out there!

I've been reading less too now I'm writing more, but I'll still have a book on the go when I'm stuck with a particular scene or just need some time out. I also read for TWRP and evaluate those manuscripts which I absolutely love.

I'm desperate to read the last two Jodi Picoult books as I haven't had the chance to read those yet! And I'm hanging out for Diana Gabaldon's next book in the Outlander series. I'm not the most patient of people and wished she wrote faster than the 2-5 years between books!!

Post a Comment